TROOPS TO TEACHING
This has now been removed as a discrete route into teaching. Anyone from the forces looking at retraining to be a teacher is advised to follow the university or school direct options.
RESEARCHERS IN SCHOOLS
This is a training programme to encourage those with doctorates to train to become a teacher whilst still having the capacity to continue university research programmes in their chosen field.
- Qualifications include GCSE passes in English and Maths plus a Doctorate.
- You will train at a home school for the duration of your course.
- You are paid an enhanced salary by your home school who will also pay your Qualified Teacher Status training fees.
- You are paid an enhanced salary for up to two years after completion of your course if you are employed at your home school.
- You will train at the school for three days a week, one day will be spent on subject studies at your training provider and the fifth day will be allocated for you to continue your research project. Upon qualification, you could be employed at your school for up to four days a week with the fifth day still allocated to your research project.
- You will be given a teaching timetable where you are teaching solo from the beginning of your course
- Only non-selective schools can apply for trainees on the Researchers in School Programme. This EXCLUDES grammar schools.
- There are a limited range of subject areas available to train in. Maths, the Sciences, Humanities, English, MFL and Computer Science.
- Application is through Researchers in Schools